Wednesday 16 May 2012

Two days to go!!

The evil fairies are at it again. Two punctures before I have even started! and my big box does not fit into the bike box.  Even so I am on target to get the bike in the bike box and onto the plane to Bergen this coming Friday at 7pm. It might take a bit of creativity with the box... adding a bit of cardboard here and there. The other bit of jiggery pokery has to be  done with the panniers. My luggage allowance is two, 20 kilo bags and hand luggage of 10 kilos. The problem is that I have four panniers, a tent, a sleeping bag and a mat. All these come to less than 40 kilos but will be charges as excess if they go though check in separately. So... I have got some rubble bags and I'm going to put the lot into two bags and see if they will accept it. Over the phone, a nice Norwegian lady said it will be okay, but I'll be pleased if it all works out.
The good news is that the bike is going well. I did a trial run to Gifford with all the gear on it today and after the initial strangeness of the heavy front panniers, everything went well. The hill up to Gifford is a challenge at the best of times, but in low gear with all the luggage it was fine. On the way back I got up to about 25 mph,  and the bike was stable, so finger crossed it all looks good.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. great painting and photos, I am sure the travel fairies will take care of you and St Christopher xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Elaine, not long to go now. Everything is just about ready. Thanks for the good wishes and keep in touch
      love Ray xx

      Delete
  2. All the v. best Ray. We'll be following you with interest. - S + C + R + JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. that bikes looks very familiar to me. is that the one i kept sliding down on..

    best of luck our granmmmpa:)
    mr v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vlad

      Thank you. Yes, its the same book, but it has been modified alot. Good to hear from you. Keep in touch as I travel around.

      Ray

      Delete
  4. Richard Bolton17 May 2012 at 14:45

    Good luck replacing your legs with wheels! Good to run (in my case jog) with you yesterday at least for a bit. We'll do it again when you come back with bandy legs. Ha Ha.
    BTW I really like your art, def got something there.
    Best wishes, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I'm a bit scared and a lot excited. Just a few hours and I will be knocking elbows with the Norwegians. You can have a look at my art if you go to the labels on the right side at the bottom of the blog and hit the art label

      May the wind be at your tail

      Ray

      Delete
  5. Richard Bolton17 May 2012 at 14:53

    Ray, where can I see your art? Is it online anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow dods great to see ur home for the next 10wks!!! have fun and go easy xxx

    ReplyDelete