Wednesday 27 January 2010

Coming around

I don’t know about you, but I have some periods that are much more productive than others, or at least I think I do. It would be tempting to describe my life as one long creative journey, but I have to say that the journey can take a few wrong turns and there’s even the occasional break down on the way! I can admit this at the moment because I have been going through a productive spell this week. I have worked on the short story (Fence key) and I have completed a painting and I’ve been out running and swimming.

Could it be that my biorhythms are in tune or is it something else? The most obvious ‘something else' is that I’ve been more organised lately, but I think the underlying cause is that I have moved my working spaces. Simple really – if I sit in the kitchen, it's comfy and there are lots of temptations to stop writing. Another cup of tea or a biscuit beckon, but if I sit in my workspace upstairs at my desk, I don’t have the same distractions and I can get on with it. Another thing I mustn’t forget is to make a note of what I am going to do before I get started, it’s too easy to get distracted with all the interesting things that crop up.

Yesterday I took my painting gear to Tynepark and used their wonderful art room. There are lots of big tables to spread out on, the light is great and it’s peaceful, but there are people to talk to. It made me realise that I can get a bit of cabin fever if I stay in my house too long without any outside stimulation.

So, if I continue with this routine will I continue to be more creative and productive? Only time will tell, but I expect that I will find reasons to have that cup of tea.

Note to self:  Keep in mind the things that inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment