Tuesday 17 April 2012

Running weather

The only thing that has been dependable in my activities over the last week or so has been the sunny and cold weather. I'm pleased about this because it suits my outdoor activity pursuits, in particular it's just right for running. Now, I have to admit that I am enjoying running again, not least because my runs have been quite varied. The Dunbar 10km a week  Saturday confirmed for me that I am feeling much stronger and not running out of stamina so quickly. I started near the back of the field and gradually picked my way forward and came home at a good lick. Since then I have been getting out every couple of days. I did my second set of hills reps in living memory last Friday, up Trainers Brae, near the Leisure Centre in North Berwick. This session really does blow out the cob webs and I'm sure it helps improve your form. On Sunday, I went for a long run. I have been building these up over the last month, with a view to surviving in one piece during the Edinburgh to North Berwick run on 5 May. I have gone from 1.15, 1.30, 1.45 to 1.55. On Sunday I wanted to go over 2 hours and a variation on the Sunday routes I have been doing came to me. Started from the house as usual and ran down the railway walk, but this time instead of cutting off at Cottyburn, I carried on to Longniddry. Then I took to the road and headed towards North Berwick. Just past the ruined castle I turned right and headed up to Huntington and Coats farms. After that it was up the Bangley quarry hill and left at the top instead of straight on. On down towards the A1 but detoured through some fields to the roundabout outside Haddy. After that it was onto the old A1, and a left past Dodds seed merchants, and along to the wood track back to the Pencaitland road and on to the river track and back home via Nungate. The result was an interesting and varied run, which I bowled along well in a time of 2.08. I knew I had a good run because I had that hollow feeling after it that tells you there is no glycogen left.
On Monday, my friends Margit and Pete arrived from Munich for a holiday. Today we went along to   Coldingham beach and the coffee and cakes at St. Abbs.

 The waves at Coldingham were the biggest I have seen in Scotland. Harvey had a great time running after the ball into the sea and scored one tremendous wipe-out as he rescued his ball from the surf. When we got back I ran my old favourite along the Tyne and up Seggarsdean farm and home via Nunsgate. The run was done in a respectable time and showed I had recovered well from Sunday's efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment